Monday, September 19, 2005

Learning new songs

I just had a burst of new song learnings. I have been been trying to improve my horendous singing, which is apparently not from a lack of genetic singing gifts, just a lack of proper technique and training/practice. So says my idiots guide to singing, thats right I am an IDIOT! I won't let that stop me though!

Anyway, I have been sitting down in the evening with my trusty acoustic guitar and working on recording some songs using my real singing voice, clean and dry. It is kind of fun because I used to disguise my lack of a voice by singing very softly, which limist the types of songs that sound good. It also makes you sound like some sort of a pussy. So now I sit alone in my studio at night and try to belt out some songs. It is surprisingly hard to feel comfortable singing out loud, even when you know you are alone.

So here is the list of songs. Maybe one day I will post one of these here with me actaully singing. I am also getting lots better at singing and playing guitar. I noticed that if I was trying to sing my guitar playing would start to lose finesse, or detail after the first chorus. Now I can sing and pay attention to the rhythm and finer points of the song I am playing while i sing (assuming I have memorized the lyrics.).

1 - Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi
2 - Pirate Looks at 40 - Jimmy Buffett
3 - Can't Always Get What You Want - Rolling Stones
4 - Creep - Radiohead
5 - Closing Time - Semisonic
6 - Trees - Marty Casey (INXS:Rockstar dude)

How fun is that?

1 Comments:

Blogger Deborah said...

I cannot wait to here this! I'm going to have to throw you some props over mixing in Bon Jovi. You are developing a growing base of fans that are children of the 80s. We need something more recent that Credence every now and then.

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home